Ever wondered what type of skin you have and the kind of facial care you should be investing in for your individual skin needs? This Wednesday, we drop some much-needed knowledge and share wisdom on how you can identify your skin type and better understand how to take care of it for optimum results and a radiant look.
It goes without saying that to take care of your face and skin, you must first understand exactly what you’re dealing with. While there are a few ways to decipher your skin type from home – such as using the bare-faced test or blotting sheet method – we’ve done the work for you and list characteristics of the various skin types around.
There are five basic types of healthy skin: normal, oily, dry, combination and sensitive skin. It’s important to know that your skin can change throughout the years and is greatly impacted by various things such as stress, aging, skin product choice, climate and even medication.
Take a look at the characteristics of each skin type:
- Well balanced skin that is neither oily nor dry
- Has very few discolouration
- Is blemish free and appears smooth
- Easily identifiable by its shiny appearance
- Has overactive sebum production and enlarged pores
- Is prone to acne and blackheads
- Is flaky, appears dry and may have red patches
- Looks tight in appearance
- Might appear dull, lackluster and tired
- Lines develop easily on this skin type
- Has both oily and dry areas
- Is prone to blackheads
- Also has large pores
- Has blotchy patches and redness spots
- May have broken capillaries
- May feel itchy
Now that you understand which skin type you fall under, ensure that you use the right kinds of products tailored for your skin type and you’ll be well on your way to beautiful, flawless and radiantly glowing skin.
Do you know your skin type?
*Cover image from Pure Wow
WATCH: Nail trends to check out at Afrique Beauty Lounge
WATCH: Nail trends to check out at Afrique Beauty Lounge.
We recently caught up with Afrique Beauty Lounge’s nail expert Lesego Mogale who shared the Do’s and Don’ts of maintaining acrylic nails.
She also gave us the scoop on the ultimate nail trend to follow this season.
- Ensure your natural nails are strong and healthy before applying acrylics. Acrylics can damage the nail bed, break them and cause infections if they are not in a good condition before applying. To achieve healthy natural nails, eat calcium enriched food.
- Wear rubber gloves while doing home chores, They may be be uncomfortable but chemicals can cause acrylics to break or fall off.
- Get your nails redone regularly (around every two weeks) as this will prevent damage and breakage.
- Visit a professional nail salon to have your acrylic removed as it can be a difficult and painful process if done incorrectly, this can cause damage and infection.
- Once a new set is done it’s advisable to get a refill after two weeks, This prevents your nails from being weak and fragile.
- Don’t expose acrylic nails to harsh chemicals, this can cause them to break and crumble. It can also damage your own nails.
- Don’t bite or cut acrylic nails as this can cause severe damage.
- Don’t use your acrylic nails to open canned drinks or anything that may cause them to shatter.
- Don’t use regular or acetone nail polish remover on your acrylic nails as it can separate them from your natural nails.
- Don’t ignore inflammation, a strange growth, color or texture. Healthy nails should have a uniform color and consistency. If you notice something unusual, consult your dermatologist, as it may be a sign of skin abnormality.