To mark and celebrate the 56th anniversary since the foundation of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU) on 25 May 1963, also known as Africa Day or Africa Month.
The music streaming app that’s all about being behind music JOOX, is paying homage to artists living, those that have passed on and those who helped shine the International spotlight on African music and culture.
Spanning 30,37 million km² the African continent is the World’s second largest and most populous continent, it-s vastness is home to historically ancient, rich and diverse sounds from different regions and nations; known for having many distinct musical traditions.
On the music front, the continent is home to some remarkable African Pop artists who have carved the way for many of today’s well-known musicians, JOOX has created a playlist to honour these original superstars (AfriKa! Rooted in the OGs). These heavyweights of Africa’s popular music include artists who have won the most prestigious award in world music, The Grammy, amongst other awards. They include:
- South Africa’s Ladysmith Black Mambazo winners of 5 Grammy Awards for the recording of the single ‘Shaka Zulu’ and the albums ‘Raise Your Spirit Higher’, ‘Ilembe: Honoring Shaka Zulu’, ‘Live: Singing for Peace around the World’ and ‘Shaka Zulu Revisited: 30th Anniversary Celebration.’
- Mali’s Ali Faka Touré winner of 3 Grammy Awards for his albums ‘Talking Timbuktu’, ‘In the Heart of the Moon’ and Ali and Toumani’.
- Benin’s Angélique Kidjo winner of 3 Grammy Awards for her albums ’Djin Djin’, ‘Eve’ and ‘Sings.’
- South Africa’s Soweto Gospel Choir winners of 3 Grammy Awards for their albums ‘Blessed’, ‘African Spirit’ and their single “Baba Yetu”.
- Northern Mali’s Tinariwen also known as ‘blue men of the Sahara’ winners of 1 Grammy Award for their album ‘Tassili.’
- Senegal’s Youssou Ndour winner of 1 Grammy Award for his album ‘Winds of Samsara’.
To help you enjoy all your favourite music from the continent, JOOX have specially curated various AfriKa theme playlists that include:
A look at Africa’s current crop of stars who have put Africa on the map, this includes artists such as Cassper Nyovest, Wizkid, Sjava, HHP, Lady Zamar, Aya Nakamura and many more.
The celebration of Africa’s ladies who are moving forward and shaking up the industry, this includes artists such as Vanessa Mdee, Tiwa Savage, Stella Mwangi, Kah-Lo, Lizha James, Sho Madjozi and many more.
A highlight of the industry influencers who are behind the scenes and have helped produce some of the biggest continental and international songs for African artists, these producers include Kiddominant, Killbeatz, Nahreel and many more.
A homage to Africa’s rising musical stars who are paving their own way to success including young Grammy Award winners such as:
- Kenya’s Owuor Arunga winner of 3 Grammy Awards for his trumpeting in Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’s award-winning album ‘The Heist’ in 2014.
- American-Nigerian Kevin Olusola winner of 3 Grammy Award through the acappella group known as Pentatonix who won an award in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Along with artists such as Clique Viral, OBT, Blaqbonez, Feli Nuna, Rosa Ree, Wavy The Creator and Superstar Ace amongst a few.