JT Medupe to play Jacob Zuma in the theatre production of KHWEZI
South African actor JT Medupe is set to play Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma in the theatre production of KHWEZI…Say My Name.
Written and Directed by Multi-Award Winner Napo Masheane, adaptation from “KHWEZI…The remarkable story of Fezekile Ntsukela Kuzwayo” by Redi Tlhabi.
“KHWEZI… Say My Name” tells the story of a young girl, KHWEZI who grew up in exile as part of a communal village of aunts and uncles who fought an evil system. The noble cause against apartheid, was and 24 years of democracy later, remains a battle ground upon women’s bodies on different fronts. In her quest to know her father, Judson Kuzwayo, and to preserve his political life’s story, KHWEZI ends up in Forest Town, where she is sexually appropriated by her father’s former best friend, Comrade-Malume Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma.
Through the rape trial the audience becomes part of KHWEZI’s court case against one of the most powerful men in South Africa. We are reminded that she was not just a body, metaphor, or a face. Not a battleground or ripples of horror. But that she had a real name: FEZEKILE NTSUKELA KUZWAYO. With various explorations of RAPE, the audience wears the skin of victims of such brutality. Our minds provoked, and emotions interrogated, push us to tap deep into the harsh reality
explains Masheane- carefully giving away the plot.
Author, Journalist and radio presenter Redi Thlabi says she’s super proud of what “Napo’’ and the State Theatre has achieved and wishes the production a great success when it launches.
Catch this remarkable story of KHWEZI…Say My Name from the 25th July to 12th August 2018 at South African State Theatre – Arena Theatre in Pretoria. Tickets are available for only R110 at computicket outlets across the country.
This is why we are obsessed with Terry Pheto!
This is why we adore actress Terry Pheto
Today we are celebrating South African actress Moitheri Pheto, who is better known as Terry Pheto. She first rose to fame as Pinky Khumba on SABC 1’s telenovela Zone 14. Terry then raised the South African flag high for her role as Miriam in 2005’s Tsotsi, which won an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film.
We have to mention her outstanding performance when she starred as the late Nelson Mandela’s ex wife Evelyn Mase alongside the award-winning actors Idris Alba and Naomi Harris on the movie Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.
This is why you should follow Terry on social media:
- Terry was the face of an international cosmetic brand L’Oreal in 2008, and made numerous magazine appearances like Vanity Fair and Cosmopolitan.
- In 2011, after leaving South Africa to try her luck in Hollywood, she landed a recurring role of a heart surgeon on the American soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful.
- The Soweto-born beauty also rubbed shoulders with David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike on the biographical romantic drama film; A United Kingdom whereby she played the role of Naledi Khama.
- She loves spending time with industry BFF’s Thembi Seete and Mampho Brescia.
- Terry loves her wine, after all she has a busy and demanding career.
- She loves clothes! Of course, she’s the ultimate girly girl, Terry keeps updating her fans with her latest fashion buys.
- She is making huge international waves as she recently announced her role as a lead on an international feature film Faces.