Here are places to access free counselling around South Africa.
What is mental health? Mental health includes emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.
We’ve compiled a list of consultancies and organizations that will help you get your mental well-being in check this 2020. Here’s a list of free counselling centres around South Africa.
- LifeLine Johannesburg: LifeLine is a nonprofit organisation (NPO) that offers free counselling and 24-hour telephonic counselling for all ages and any issues you are faced with. LifeLine centres can be found in Norwood, Soweto, and Alexandra. Visit www.lifeline.org.za
- South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG) – SADAG is at the forefront of patient advocacy, education and destigmatisation of mental illness in the country. Its expertise lies in assisting patients and specializing in: Anxiety, Bipolar, Suicide, ADHD, OCD, Trauma / PTSD and Substance Abuse. Visit www.sadag.org
- Grace Counselling – Grace Counselling is Christian-based organisation that offers a variety of therapy options from dealing with mental health-related issues to dealing with spiritual related issues. It is based in the north of Durban but it has a few centres and churches spread out throughout Durban. Visit www.gracecounselling.org.za
- Revive Counselling Centre – Revive is an NPO based in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape that offers free counselling sessions on issues such as depression and anxiety, suicidal thoughts, and dealing with traumatic experiences. While you are expected to book an appointment, the center has open days on Wednesdays, where you will be assisted even if you have not made a booking. Visit www.revive.org.za
- Hope House Counselling Centre – Based in Cape Town, Hope House is a Christian organisation that offers therapy sessions for individuals dealing with trauma, mental illness, relationship problems, family problems, and suicide thoughts. You can find their centers in Bergvliet, Tableview, and Kuilsrivier. Visit www.hopehouse.org.za
- IThemba Rape and Trauma Support Centre: Situated in Centurion, the iThemba rape and trauma support centre is dedicated to offering comprehensive care for the survivors of traumatic events, as well as their family and friends. This care includes counselling, treatment for physical trauma, prevention of pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases and the careful gathering of forensic evidence. Visit www.ithembasupport.org.za