You know you’re the ish when an internationally acclaimed star hails you as one of his favourite South African stars. When we met up with American actor and cast member of Vuzu Amp’s comedy-drama, Insecure, we were set on finding out a bit more about this hunky 35-year-old, including who he deemed his favourite SA stars to be.
Born, Wendell Ramone Ellis Jr., Jay was introduced to us when he landed his first acting role on the BET series, The Game. He has since featured in series the likes of How I Met Your Mother, NCIS and Grey’s Anatomy. However, his biggest and most popular role has been that of Lawrence – the sexy but flawed boyfriend of Issa (played by Issa Rae) on the candid TV series, Insecure.
We caught up with the star who is currently in South Africa and weighed in on who his fave SA stars are. Here’s what he had to say about our legendary Black Coffee as well as thriving hip-hop artist Youngsta Cpt:
Do share your thoughts with us!
This is why we are obsessed with Terry Pheto!
This is why we adore actress Terry Pheto
Today we are celebrating South African actress Moitheri Pheto, who is better known as Terry Pheto. She first rose to fame as Pinky Khumba on SABC 1’s telenovela Zone 14. Terry then raised the South African flag high for her role as Miriam in 2005’s Tsotsi, which won an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film.
We have to mention her outstanding performance when she starred as the late Nelson Mandela’s ex wife Evelyn Mase alongside the award-winning actors Idris Alba and Naomi Harris on the movie Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.
This is why you should follow Terry on social media:
- Terry was the face of an international cosmetic brand L’Oreal in 2008, and made numerous magazine appearances like Vanity Fair and Cosmopolitan.
- In 2011, after leaving South Africa to try her luck in Hollywood, she landed a recurring role of a heart surgeon on the American soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful.
- The Soweto-born beauty also rubbed shoulders with David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike on the biographical romantic drama film; A United Kingdom whereby she played the role of Naledi Khama.
- She loves spending time with industry BFF’s Thembi Seete and Mampho Brescia.
- Terry loves her wine, after all she has a busy and demanding career.
- She loves clothes! Of course, she’s the ultimate girly girl, Terry keeps updating her fans with her latest fashion buys.
- She is making huge international waves as she recently announced her role as a lead on an international feature film Faces.