WATCH: Nail trends to check out at Afrique Beauty Lounge.
We recently caught up with Afrique Beauty Lounge’s nail expert Lesego Mogale who shared the Do’s and Don’ts of maintaining acrylic nails.
She also gave us the scoop on the ultimate nail trend to follow this season.
- Ensure your natural nails are strong and healthy before applying acrylics. Acrylics can damage the nail bed, break them and cause infections if they are not in a good condition before applying. To achieve healthy natural nails, eat calcium enriched food.
- Wear rubber gloves while doing home chores, They may be be uncomfortable but chemicals can cause acrylics to break or fall off.
- Get your nails redone regularly (around every two weeks) as this will prevent damage and breakage.
- Visit a professional nail salon to have your acrylic removed as it can be a difficult and painful process if done incorrectly, this can cause damage and infection.
- Once a new set is done it’s advisable to get a refill after two weeks, This prevents your nails from being weak and fragile.
- Don’t expose acrylic nails to harsh chemicals, this can cause them to break and crumble. It can also damage your own nails.
- Don’t bite or cut acrylic nails as this can cause severe damage.
- Don’t use your acrylic nails to open canned drinks or anything that may cause them to shatter.
- Don’t use regular or acetone nail polish remover on your acrylic nails as it can separate them from your natural nails.
- Don’t ignore inflammation, a strange growth, color or texture. Healthy nails should have a uniform color and consistency. If you notice something unusual, consult your dermatologist, as it may be a sign of skin abnormality.