Here are Six tips to Start Living in the Present Moment.
Living in the present moment means no longer worrying about what happened in the past and not fearing what will happen in the future.
It means enjoying what’s happening now and living for today.
Choosing to live in the past or the future not only robs you of enjoyment today, but it also robs you of truly living. The only important moment is the present moment.
With that goal in mind, consider this list of 6 tips below on how to live in the moment.
- Smile – Each day is full of endless possibilities! Start it with a smile. You are in control of your attitude every morning, keep it optimistic and expectant. Be intentional about it and you’ll find yourself doing it every day without even realizing it.
- Fully appreciate the moments of today – Soak in as much of today as you possibly can – the sights, the sounds, the smells, the emotions, the triumph, and the sorrow. These are in our daily lives, but we often forget to take them in and truly appreciate them.
- Forgive past hurts – If you are harboring resentment towards another human being because of past hurts, choose to forgive and move on. The harm was their fault but allowing it to impact your mood today is yours. Let go and choose to be present in the moment instead.
- Dream about the future but work hard today – Dream big. Set goals and plans. But working hard today is always the first step towards realizing your dreams tomorrow. Don’t allow dreaming about tomorrow to replace living in the moment. Dreaming about the future is only productive when combined with action taken today.
- Don’t dwell on past accomplishments – If you are still talking about what you did yesterday, you haven’t done much today. There is still plenty of time to build upon past successes and create more memories and achievements for future-you. In the future, you’ll be cherishing the memories of today.
- Change a routine – You may not be living in the moment because you are too set in your routine. One way that you can become more aware is to change up your routine. You can do something as simple as changing the way that you drive to work, altering the way you introduce yourself, or tweaking a favorite story.
Hopefully, these six steps can act as guidance to living a present life.